GNOME.ORG

24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days per year...

July 24, 2014

Shivani Poddar on being a volunteer at GUADEC

GUADEC couldn’t happen without the help of volunteers. These are attendees that dedicate part of their conference experience to help the organizing team. They are there to make sure things run smoothly, and are always available to help.

Shivani Poddar was a volunteer during last year’s GUADEC in Brno, her first GUADEC both as an attendee and a volunteer. The experience was so remarkable Shivani is now back to volunteering. She’s coordinating the volunteer activities for this year’s GUADEC — and she guarantees it’s not too late to sign up to help!

We chatted with Shivani about volunteering at GUADEC, and how you can also help:

shivani_poddarWhat can volunteers help with during GUADEC?

Volunteers can help with a number of different things. They can assist at the information desk, where they answer questions about the conference events, and help with registration and swag handling. They can also become a Session Chair, which means moderating the talks, making sure they start and end on time, and that attendees can ask questions. Another way volunteers can help is by, literally, running around and helping as needed — we call these the “runners”.

All of this happens during the conference, but there’s a lot to be done before it as well. Volunteers are welcome to help us with the pre-conference setup, which includes putting things in place, folding badges, and solving last-minute troubles.

You were a volunteer during last year’s GUADEC. How was the experience?

I personally loved the experience. Firstly, as interns [Shivani was a Google Summer of Code intern last summer], we don’t have to worry a lot about organizational tasks. So volunteering was a great way to contribute my bit to the conference. I not only learned about how things work (including running, being Session Chair, etc) but also got to meet a lot of new people because of it. I saw the effort people put in, and felt like contributing a lot more in the following year (read this year!).

How can attendees volunteer? Can anyone help?

Yes! And thanks to all volunteers, it means a lot!

If you want to help, all you need to do is the follow these steps:

  • Add yourself to the Volunteers list, and read about the different volunteer roles carefully.
  • Add yourself to the timetable. Make sure to only sign up for slot you will be available to cover.
  • Make sure you are subscribed to guadec-list — all important announcements are communicated there.
  • Make sure to attend the volunteer meetings.

If you want to volunteer (or are already one) and have any queries, ping me at #guadec on IRC. I will be happy to help you.

Thanks for the interview and for coordinating the volunteer work at GUADEC, Shivani!

July 23, 2014

Interview with Matthew Garrett, GUADEC keynote speaker

GUADEC 2014 is just around the corner, and three exciting keynote speakers will be presenting during the conference. We took the opportunity to speak to Matthew Garrett, who will be giving one of those keynotes, about his keynote and about this year’s GUADEC.

Picture of Matthew GarrettHi Matthew, many know you for your work on UEFI and secure boot. Have you learnt anything through that experience?

I learned about the importance of implementing security in a way that respects a machine owner’s freedom. The risk was that UEFI secure boot would end up as what the FSF call Restricted Boot – a mechanism that restricts what the user can run on their system in the name of security. Thankfully that didn’t happen, and instead we ended up with systems that allow the user to choose their keys.

The great part of this has been seeing other companies express interest in ensuring that the devices they manufacture respect user freedom in the same way. I’ve spoken to people who are working hard on rolling out similar functionality on other devices, allowing users to run the software they want to without having to give up security in the process.

What can we expect from your keynote at GUADEC?

I’ll be talking about why a free software desktop is still vital, and why GNOME should be that desktop. Commercial desktops are inevitably going to compromise user freedom for the benefit of proprietary software vendors or governments, but many users are still going to be willing to accept the lost of those freedoms if it improves their productivity. We need to produce something that’s not merely more free, but actively better.

You have been contributing to Free Software for some time. What is your perspective on the new open source generations, who are starting out with the web and GitHub?

The sheer prevalence of free software means new developers may be less aware of the struggles previous generations went through in order to build the current ecosystem. The risk is that we’ll slide back towards a more proprietary world, and we need to keep paying attention to attacks on our freedoms.

You have attended to several GUADEC: how is to be a keynoter this time with a FSF Free Software Award in your pocket?

It’s an honor. GNOME was the first free software project I became heavily involved with, and I still have many good friends in the community. I’m proud to be able to speak in front of an audience so committed to providing high quality free software for the benefit of all users, not just those with a technical background.

What do you expect from this GUADEC?

I expect to spend time with a wonderful community of smart, driven people. I expect to hear about inspiring projects, exciting features and meet a variety of new people. And, being France, I expect to find some excellent food and wine.

We’d like to thank Matthew for taking the time to answer our questions, and look forward to his keynote at GUADEC.

Evince hackfest taking place in Strasbourg ahead of GUADEC

GUADEC is only a few days away, but some GNOME contributors are already gathering in Strasbourg to improve the GNOME document reader, Evince.

Their goals include: making further improvements to accessibility support, implementing tiling support to allow infinite zoom, improving the support for PDF annotations, revamping the comics back-end and reviewing and integrating pending patches.

The hackfest brings together members of the GNOME Accessibility team, and Evince developers. It also involves a number of  Google Summer of Code students.

The event could not have taken place without the support of the GNOME Foundation.

You can learn more about the Evince Hackfest on the event wiki page.

 

Evince logo

July 22, 2014

GUADEC Keynote Speakers Announced

Each GUADEC, a small number of special speakers are invited to deliver keynotes. This allows different perspectives, specialisms, and partners to provide their own unique view, and to provide the GNOME community with unique insights. We are excited to announce that the keynote speakers for GUADEC 2014 will be Matthew Garrett, Nathan Willis, and Jim Hall.

Matthew Garrett is a security developer at Nebula, a member of the Fedora Board and sits on the Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board. He is known for his strong opinions and for his important work on UEFI and secure boot for Linux.

Nathan Willis works as an editor at the Linux and open-source news site LWN.net. He is also an open typeface designer, contributor to the Open Font Library, and co-author of the book Design With FontForge. His keynote will discuss the ethics of software, particularly in relation to the automotive industry.

Finally, Jim Hall is a Free Software advocate, and is best known for his work on the FreeDOS Project. He has recently conducted user testing on GNOME as a part of his studies at the University of Minnesota, and will be presenting his results as a part of his keynote presentation.

We would like to thank these three speakers for keynoting at this year’s GUADEC, and are looking forward to their presentations in Strasbourg.

July 18, 2014

GUADEC 2014 registration is now open!

The GUADEC organization team is happy to announce the availability of the
registration form [1] for the upcoming GUADEC to be held in Strasbourg,
France at Epitech, a software engineer school in the heart of the city, is
glad to welcome our community and host the venue [2] for the event! This
year we are going to include a list of participants to the event online at
[3].

Once registered to the event do not forget we also provide a set of badges
[4] you can use to share on your website! Let everyone know you are coming
to such a great event held in one of the most beautiful cities of Europe!

About GUADEC

The GNOME Users And Developers European Conference (GUADEC), is an annual
conference taking place in Europe, whose prime topic is the development of
the GNOME desktop environment which sees many participants from all over
the world.

[1] https://www.guadec.org/register
[2] https://www.guadec.org/venue
[3] https://www.guadec.org/participant-list
[4] https://www.guadec.org/media

GUADEC 2014 registration is now open!

The GUADEC organization team is happy to announce the availability of the registration form for the upcoming GUADEC to be held in Strasbourg, France at Epitech, a software engineer school in the heart of the cityt! This year  a list of the participants are available online at https://www.guadec.org/participant-list.

Once registered to the event do not forget we also provide a set of badges you can use to share on your website! Let everyone know you are coming to such a great event held in one of the most beautiful cities of Europe!

About GUADEC

The GNOME Users And Developers European Conference (GUADEC), is an annual conference taking place in Europe, whose prime topic is the development of the GNOME desktop environment which sees many participants from all over the world.

Minutes of the Board meeting of July 1st, 2014

wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140701

= Minutes for Tuesday, July 1st, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Next meeting ==
 * Friday, July 18th, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Joanmarie Diggs (previous board)
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Emmanuele Bassi (previous board)
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Andreas Nilsson (previous board)
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Andrea Veri
 * Jeff Fortin
 * Tobias Mueller

=== Regrets ===
 * Karen Sandler

=== Missing ===
 * Sriram Ramkrishna

== Board Meeting Agenda ==

 * Welcome new board!
  * This is the first meeting with both the outgoing and incoming board.
  * People on the outgoing board are invited in advisory capacity
until the official hand over meeting at GUADEC
  * Only newly elected (and re-elected) board members can vote
  * Are officials going to be appointed at GUADEC?
   * We have early regrets from Karen and Tobi, who are going to be
travelling on the 25th
   * We should move the appointment of the new officers of the board
to the meeting before GUADEC
  * Explanation of the procedures of the board
   * Voting
   * Conflict of interests
   * Further discussion at the in person meeting at GUADEC

 * Monthly financial update
  * Financial year starts on October 1st
   * We generally should have a budget by that date
   * If we don't have a budget within 30 days the board voted to
automatically freeze all non-essential expenditures
  * Outlook of the financial situation of the Foundation for the
benefit of the new board members
   * Something to do for the upcoming year is to ensure companies are
invoiced at the start of January to mitigate delays
   * Sent out new invoices for GUADEC sponsoring
   * We have sent all the adboard invoices
    * After they have been paid, we are going to rely on personal donations
   * We are also holding money for other organizations
    * This money is in our care, but it's not ours to use

 * Events
  * GUADEC 2014
   * Sponsors
    * New sponsors from China
     * Added GUADEC sponsorship on top of their GNOME.Asia one
     * The board would like to thank Emily Chen for her work
    * Canonical reached out to us
    * We should try to get more sponsors
     * Marina is contacting Collabora, Mozilla, and the Linux Foundation
     * Marina also wants to contact CERN - European organization,
employs GNOME developers, uses RHEL
    * Possibly have lower rungs of sponsorship for smaller
companies/organization
    * Party sponsorship is another venue of funding
     * Not necessarily cheaper, depending on the location and type of the party
    * '''ACTION''': Jeff to follow up with potential sponsors for
GUADEC and brainstorm new ideas
    * People to follow up on authorization for two invitations to GUADEC on-list
   * Funds
    * GUADEC 2013 leftover money has been transferred to LiLo for GUADEC 2014
    * Approx USD 4000
   * Travel sponsorships
    * Committee is almost done with sponsorship requests
    * Under budget
    * Some last minute requests
   * Pending vote for invitation letters for GUADEC
    * To be completed on the list
  * GNOME.Asia
   * Leftover funds: USD ~6000
   * Discussed on board-list to have Emily Chen hold on to those funds
to reimburse travel sponsorship from China
    * Easier to bypass all the issues with moving funds back and forth
    * Emily will transfer the leftover funds after reimbursements
    * Expected: USD 2000

 * Receiving Donations in the EU via the WHS
  * No new update

 * Gandi discounts / promo codes for Foundation Members
  * Andrea has followed up with Gandi
  * Andrea is going to send an email after getting more information

 * Next meeting
  * Potential conflcts for various new/old board members
  * To be discussed on the board list

== Discussed on the mailing list ==

 * Privacy campaign
 * Visa fees reimbursements

== Pending action items ==
 * All Directors to reply Andreas's/Kat's email on board list about
visa fees reimbursements
 * Andreas to put together a GNOME supporter card for our donors
 * Andreas, Joanie to draft thank you letters to our donors
 * Andreas to investigate the GNOME gifts situation
 * Andreas to ask Karen and Pam how much we should  disclose to the
community about the ongoing discussion with Groupon
 * Emmanuele to send Zana and Tobi an update on FoG donors gifts
 * Emmanuele to draft a date and time for the post-release meeting
 * Joanie to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME
conferences to discuss on foundation-list
 * Joanie and Karen to meet and discuss about the photography policy
for GNOME events
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts
holders and passwords
  * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for
security reasons
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
 * Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for
which we handle money
 * Kat to contact Karen and Pam about the trademark use request from
Carol Hanson
 * Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Marina to contact the GNOME.Asia local team on their current budget
 * Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
  * Tobi to draft a new WHS agreement after the feedback from the board
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the !PayPal data extraction scripts
over to the GNOME infrastructure
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
 * Sri to communicate to Rosanna and work on the donation for the West
Coast hackfest
 * Sri, Marina, Kat to work on establishing criteria for drafting for
the hiring committee for the ED role
 * Zana to check the inventory of merch she has in storage (low priority)
 * Rosanna to contact Emily about the state of the GNOME.Asia payment


July 11, 2014

Additional Foundation Membership benefit: GANDI Discounts

Hello Foundation Members!

I've been in contact recently with the GANDI.net team [1] and they've 
been so kind to offer our membership some great discounts on all their 
available services! (domains, websites hosting, SSL certificates, 
Cloud VPS servers )


What is GANDI offering us
----

What GANDI is kindly offering us is an E-Rate discount [1] on all the 
services listed above. Below you can see the discounted prices for the 
various services:

Domains: https://www.gandi.net/domain/price/info?grid=E

Simple hosting: https://www.gandi.net/hosting/simple?language=php&db=mysql&grid=E

SSL Certificates: https://www.gandi.net/ssl/grid

Cloud VPS servers (IaaS): https://www.gandi.net/hosting/iaas/prices?grid=E 

How can I receive the discount?
----

1. Create a GANDI handle at https://www.gandi.net. If you have an 
   existing account you can skip this step.
2. Set your handles' prepaid account currency accordingly to the one 
   in use in your country.
3. Mail non-profit< at >gandi.net from your < at >gnome.org mail address indicating 
   your GNOME Foundation membership status and Gandi handle. (every 
   GNOME Foundation Member with a GNOME account (i.e git) should have 
   its < at >gnome.org alias enabled already, if you are unsure about the 
   details or the alias is not working, please mail accounts< at >gnome.org.
4. Wait for a positive reply. Your account should now have applied an 
   E-Rate discount.

This information is available at [3] as well.

Who should I contact in case no one updated my account within a few weeks?
----

Please mail <av AT gnome DOT org> by forwarding the email you sent to 
the above specified address specifying you did not receive a reply 
since several weeks.

Special thanks to GANDI
----

I would like to thank GANDI for their continued support to the FOSS 
world [4] and for the great discounts they are offering to our membership!



That should be all, have an awesome day everyone!

[1] https://www.gandi.net/whowe/
[2] http://wiki.gandi.net/en/billing/rate
[3] https://wiki.gnome.org/MembershipCommittee/MembershipBenefits#GANDI_discounts
[4] https://www.gandi.net/supports/

June 30, 2014

Minutes of the Board meeting of June 17, 2014

wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140617

= Minutes for Tuesday, June 17th, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Next meeting ==
 * Tuesday, July 1st, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Joanmarie Diggs
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Emmanuele Bassi
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Andreas Nilsson
 * Tobias Mueller (connection issues towards the later end of the call)

=== Regrets ===
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Sriram Ramkrishna

=== Missing ===

== Board Meeting Agenda ==

 * Trademark request
  * Carol Hanson wants to print a one-off t-shirt design that includes
the GNOME logo, for personal use
  * Cafepress raised the issue of the trade mark
  * We should put Karen and Pam in the loop
  * '''ACTION''': Kat to contact Karen and Pam about the trademark use
request from Carol Hanson

 * GUADEC invitation letters
  * There is the issue of invitation letters for GUADEC for
non-members going through the foundation
  * We need to keep proper records of who sends and who gets invitation letters
   * It also depends on who is sending the invitation letters for
GUADEC: either LiLo (the legal entity organising GUADEC) or the
Foundation itself
   * LiLo is involved on behalf of the foundation, so the Board will
have to vote on every invitation letter in order to record the details
for the future
   * '''VOTE''': Record every request for visa invitation letters: +1
Kat, Joanie, Andreas, Emmanuele
  * Coordinators for the invitation letters: Marina, Srini, and other
foundation members

 * Events
  * GNOME.Asia
   * Leftover funds: USD 5000
   * We should use these funds for direct GUADEC travel sponsorship of
foundation members from China
   * It would be more expensive to have those funds transferred back
to the foundation and then used for sponsorship
  * GUADEC 2014
   * Report from the team meeting yesterday
   * Accommodation and venue are sorted
   * Presentations: we had late cancellations from speakers
    * We have a pool to pick speakers from
    * We can also expand the lightning talks slots, or leave them open
for last minute submissions directly at the conference
   * Travel committee: does not need a budget extension
    * Allan asked if there can be an increase in sponsorship for
speakers if that is an issue for attendance
    * The travel committee should be able to handle that on a case by case basis

 * Dates of the board/adboard meetings at GUADEC
  * Proposed dates: 24/7 and 25/7
  * We don't have consensus on the dates yet
  * Further discussion on the mailing list

 * Privacy campaign
  * Stef won't be able to coordinate, but will be able to work as an advisor
  * Open a proposal period on foundation-list

 * OPW
  * OPW travel sponsorship
  * We should ask for a report/blog post for all the sponsored interns
  * '''VOTE''': Request a report/blog post for OPW interns sponsored
for travel: unanimous

 * Visa fees reimbursements
  * To be discussed further on the board list

 * Next meeting: July 1st
  * New board directors will attend and vote
  * Old board directors will attend in advisory capacity
  * Current officers will maintain their role until the hand over
meeting at GUADEC

== Discussed on the mailing list ==

 * Privacy campaign

== Completed Actions ==

 * Kat to contact the board candidates for the dates for the
board/adboard meetings at GUADEC
 * Kat to propose the meeting for June 10th on board-list

== Pending action items ==
 * All Directors to reply Andreas's/Kat's email on board list about
visa fees reimbursements
 * All board directors to vote on the contract with LiLo on board-list
 * Andreas to put together a GNOME supporter card for our donors
 * Andreas, Joanie to draft thank you letters to our donors
 * Andreas to investigate the GNOME gifts situation
 * Emmanuele to send Zana and Tobi an update on FoG donors gifts
 * Emmanuele to draft a date and time for the post-release meeting
 * Emmanuele to send the SorceForge information to board-list
 * Joanie to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME
conferences to discuss on foundation-list
 * Joanie and Karen to meet and discuss about the photography policy
for GNOME events
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts
holders and passwords
  * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for
security reasons
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
 * Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for
which we handle money
 * Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Marina to contact the GNOME.Asia local team on their current budget
 * Marina to follow up with Mozilla for the payment for OPW round 5
 * Marina to request for the vote to be finished on the mailing list.
 * Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
  * Tobi to draft a new WHS agreement after the feedback from the board
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the !PayPal data extraction scripts
over to the GNOME infrastructure
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
 * Sri to communicate to Rosanna and work on the donation for the West
Coast hackfest
 * Sri, Marina, Kat to work on establishing criteria for drafting for
the hiring committee for the ED role
 * Zana to check the inventory of merch she has in storage (low priority)

Minutes of the Board meeting of June 3, 2014

wiki: https://wiki.gnome.org/FoundationBoard/Minutes/20140603

= Minutes for Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014, 16:00 UTC =

== Next meeting ==
 * Tuesday, June 17th, 2014, 16:00 UTC

== Attending ==
 * Marina Zhurakhinskaya
 * Joanmarie Diggs
 * Ekaterina Gerasimova
 * Emmanuele Bassi
 * Rosanna Yuen
 * Sriram Ramkrishna

=== Regrets ===
 * Andreas Nilsson
 * Tobias Mueller

=== Missing ===

== Board Meeting Agenda ==

 * Monthly financial update
  * We have received various adboard and outreach payments
  * USD 361k in cash reserves
  * Just over half is earmarked
  * This allows to send out reimbursements for West Coast hackfest and
DX hackfest
  * Should be possible to increase the travel budget for GUADEC to EUR 30k

 * Reimbursements:
  * '''VOTE''': early reimbursement for GNOME.Asia for Sammy Fung:
$400: +1 Kat, Marina, Joanie, Sri, Emmanuele
  * West coast hackfest reimbursements
   * Need to get all the details and receipts for the attendees
  * Delegating back to the Travel Committee
   * Updated proposal from the Travel Committee to the board:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Travel/wip/Events
    * '''VOTE''': Approve the proposal from the Travel Committee: +1
Kat, Marina, Joanie, Emmanuele, Sri

 * Events
  * GUADEC 2014
   * '''VOTE''': Rosanna's flight (USD 1900): +1 Kat, Marina, Joanie, Emmanuele
    * Hotel, internet connection reimbursements are under operational
expenses for Rosanna
   * Board/adboard meeting dates
    * Proposal for board meeting on the 24th July (Thursday)
    * Proposal for adboard meeting on the 25th July (Friday)
    * Local organizers are okay with the dates
    * Need the dates to check with the candidates for the elections
    * '''ACTION''': Kat to contact the board candidates for the dates
for the board/adboard meetings at GUADEC
   * Contract with LiLo
    * Time sensitive
    * Needs final review from the board
    * '''ACTION''': All board directors to vote on the contract with
LiLo on board-list
   * Organisation
    * Papers
     * Emmanuele wants to thank Allan, Kat, David, and the other
members of the papers committee for picking up the task
    * Travel
     * Proposal to increase travel budget from €15000 to €30000
(standard travel budget)
     * '''VOTE''': Increase the budget for GUADEC travel to EUR 30k:
+1 Kat, Marina, Sri, Joanie, Emmanuele
     * No extra money from GSoC towards interns
      * No budget from Google this year
      * Google allocates a maximum of USD 5000 per organization per year
      * In 2013 we funded 21 GSoC interns, and ended up getting $10K
from Google, which took up our allowance for two years
  * Evince hackfest
   * Pre-GUADEC
   * USD 1767.96 requested by two interns from the GUADEC budget
   * A donation of $840 will be made to the Foundation to cover the
costs of this hackfest
   * '''VOTE''': USD 840 to sponsor Christian Persch, José Aliste and
Juanjo Marín: +1 Marina, Kat, Emmanuele, Sri, Joanie
  * GNOME.Asia
   * Reports
    * Good outreach for users, not just developers and then
encouraging them to apply for sponsorship to attend GUADEC
    * We need more outreach for getting non-coding contributors in
Asia into the Foundation
     * The proportion of foundation members attending GUADEC/GNOME
summits is higher than that attending GNOME.Asia
      * Even if the amount of contributions is comparable
     * Outreach in both directions is harder because of the disconnect
between western and eastern social services
     * It would be good to have a greater presence of the Asian
community leaders on the engagement team
     * Increase the visibility of the eastern contributors
   * Preliminary estimate that $2500 is left over
    * Good news, it has been a cost-effective conference
    * Increases the chances for outreach
    * We have great potential for expansion of the community

 * OPW
  * Intern payments: board review of which ones can be sent and which
ones cannot be sent yet for the upcoming round
   * We sent out a purchase order to Intel, but it got re-routed
towards a different session
    * We also had issues with the Intel online system for submitting PO
   * Mozilla were invoiced late for round 5, but they did pay for
round 6, 7, and 8
    * They haven't paid yet for round 5
    * '''ACTION''': Marina to follow up with Mozilla for the payment
for OPW round 5
   * We received payments for the current round, but we're still
waiting for the money for a previous round
   * We will have to front the payment for the interns
   * '''VOTE''': Unblock payments for OPW interns sponsored by Intel
and Mozilla: +1 Marina, -1 Kat, Emmanuele and Joanie abstain
   * '''ACTION''': Marina to request for the vote to be finished on
the mailing list.

 * Reach out from SourceForge to the Foundation
  * Emmanuele was contacted by a rep from SourceForge
  * There's the possibility of partnering and generate additional
income for the Foundation
  * '''ACTION''': Emmanuele to send the SorceForge information to board-list

 * Potential meeting on Tue, June 10
  * Emily and Alexandre asked to attend for report on GNOME.Asia and GUADEC
  * '''ACTION''': Kat to propose the meeting for June 10th on board-list

== Completed Actions ==
 * Rosanna to contact Emily about the state of the GNOME.Asia payment
 * Kat to update the travel committee proposal and send the new draft
to the list
 * Kat to contact Brian Cameron about the Groupon legal team
 * Joanie to go over Michael Schumacher ideas on the Gimp funding
processes and merge them with her ideas on the wiki (obsolete)
 * Emmanuele to send hackers up for "adoption" the list of donors that
want a postcard
 * Emmanuele to ask the adboard members for help with Bugzilla update
(Kat, Andrea Veri completed this item)
 * Emmanuele to send a proposal to foundation-list about possible IRC
meetings (dropped)

== Pending action items ==
 * All Directors to reply Andreas's/Kat's email on board list about
visa fees reimbursements
 * All board directors to vote on the contract with LiLo on board-list
 * Andreas to put together a GNOME supporter card for our donors
 * Andreas, Joanie to draft thank you letters to our donors
 * Andreas to investigate the GNOME gifts situation
 * Emmanuele to send Zana and Tobi an update on FoG donors gifts
 * Emmanuele to draft a date and time for the post-release meeting
 * Emmanuele to send the SorceForge information to board-list
 * Joanie to draft a proposal for the photography policy at GNOME
conferences to discuss on foundation-list
 * Joanie and Karen to meet and discuss about the photography policy
for GNOME events
 * Kat to create a private wiki page on the web services accounts
holders and passwords
  * Allan and Kat decided to go for a private git account instead for
security reasons
 * Kat to draft a proposal for a privacy policy for review
 * Kat to draft a contract template for future use organizations for
which we handle money
 * Kat to contact the board candidates for the dates for the
board/adboard meetings at GUADEC
 * Kat to propose the meeting for June 10th on board-list
 * Karen to write the Privacy policy for GNOME services
 * Karen will look at gnome-software privacy issues from a legal standpoint
 * Marina to contact the GNOME.Asia local team on their current budget
 * Marina to follow up with Mozilla for the payment for OPW round 5
 * Marina to request for the vote to be finished on the mailing list.
 * Tobi to continue pursuing the fund collection in Europe
  * Tobi to draft a new WHS agreement after the feedback from the board
 * Tobi to talk to Andrea to move the !PayPal data extraction scripts
over to the GNOME infrastructure
 * Sri to investigate better uses of adsense/adwords on the GNOME websites
 * Sri to communicate to Rosanna and work on the donation for the West
Coast hackfest
 * Sri, Marina, Kat to work on establishing criteria for drafting for
the hiring committee for the ED role
 * Zana to check the inventory of merch she has in storage (low priority)


June 26, 2014

GNOME 3.13.3

It is time for another development snapshot in the GNOME 3.14
development cycle: 3.13.3 is here. Highlights in this release include
Adwaita as the default GTK+ theme [1], network awareness in our
sharing infrastructure [2], a new design for yelp and add-on support
in gnome-software.

To compile GNOME 3.13.3, you can use the jhbuild [3] modulesets [4]
(which use the exact tarball versions from the official release).

You can also test the latest code using the vm images [5] that are
produced by our continuous integration infrastructure,
build.gnome.org.

[1] http://blogs.gnome.org/mclasen/2014/06/13/a-new-default-theme-for-gtk/
[2] http://www.hadess.net/2014/06/firewalls-and-per-network-sharing.html
[3] http://library.gnome.org/devel/jhbuild/
[4] http://download.gnome.org/teams/releng/3.13.3/
[5] https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeContinuous#Installation

The release notes that describe the changes between 3.13.2 and 3.13.3
are available. Go read them to learn what's new in this release:

core - http://download.gnome.org/core/3.13/3.13.3/NEWS
apps - http://download.gnome.org/apps/3.13/3.13.3/NEWS

The GNOME 3.13.3 release itself is available here:

core sources - http://download.gnome.org/core/3.13/3.13.3
apps sources - http://download.gnome.org/apps/3.13/3.13.3


WARNING! WARNING! WARNING!
--------------------------

This release is a snapshot of early development code. Although it is
buildable and usable, it is primarily intended for testing and hacking
purposes. GNOME uses odd minor version numbers to indicate development
status.

For more information about 3.13, the full schedule, the official
module lists and the proposed module lists, please see our 3.13
planning page:
http://www.gnome.org/start/unstable

For a quick overview of the GNOME schedule, please see:
http://live.gnome.org/Schedule

We are now looking forward to the 3.13.4 snapshot, which will happen
on July 23, and to Guadec in Strasbourg, from July 26 to August 1.
http://www.guadec.org

See you there!

Matthias Clasen
GNOME Release Team

May 15, 2014

GNOME 3.12.2 is out

Hello,

Here comes GNOME 3.12.2, our second update to GNOME 3.12. It includes
many fixes, various improvements, and translation updates over 3.12.0
and 3.12.1, we hope you'll enjoy it.

The road ahead is 3.13, a schedule has been published, and a first
development release got released on April 30th.  The next release will
be 3.13.2 and is scheduled for May 28th.

 https://wiki.gnome.org/ThreePointThirteen

For more information about the major changes in GNOME 3.12, please
visit our release notes:

 https://help.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/3.12/


==============================
Release Details and References
==============================

The lists of updated modules and changes are available here:
  core   -  https://download.gnome.org/core/3.12/3.12.2/NEWS
  apps   -  https://download.gnome.org/apps/3.12/3.12.2/NEWS

The source packages are available here:
  core   -  https://download.gnome.org/core/3.12/3.12.2/sources/
  apps   -  https://download.gnome.org/apps/3.12/3.12.2/sources/

And if you want to compile GNOME 3.12.2 by yourself, you can use the
jhbuild modulesets available here:
  https://download.gnome.org/teams/releng/3.12.2/


See you next time!

        Fred

May 11, 2014

TARBALLS DUE: 3.12.2

Hello all,

Now is the time for a new update to our stable release, this is 3.12.2.

  Tarballs are due on 2014-05-12 before 23:59 UTC for the GNOME 3.12.2
  stable release, which will be delivered on Wednesday. Modules which
  were proposed for inclusion should try to follow the unstable
  schedule so everyone can test them.  Please make sure that your
  tarballs will be uploaded before Monday 23:59 UTC: tarballs uploaded
  later than that will probably be too late to get in 3.12.2. If you
  are not able to make a tarball before this deadline or if you think
  you'll be late, please send a mail to the release team and we'll
  find someone to roll the tarball for you!


For more information about 3.13, the full schedule, the official
module lists and the proposed module lists, please see our colorful 3.13
page:
   http://www.gnome.org/start/unstable

For a quick overview of the GNOME schedule, please see:
   https://wiki.gnome.org/Schedule


Cheers,

        Fred

March 26, 2014

GNOME 3.12 Released

The GNOME Project is proud to announce the release of GNOME 3.12.

This is an exciting release for GNOME, and brings many new features
and improvements, including app folders, enhanced system status and
high-resolution display support. This release also includes new and
redesigned applications for video, software, editing, sound recording
and internet relay chat.

Under the hood, support for using Wayland instead of X has progressed
significantly.

For more information about the major changes in GNOME 3.12, you can
visit the release notes:

 http://library.gnome.org/misc/release-notes/3.12/

GNOME 3.12 will be available shortly in many distributions.
Live images of GNOME 3.12 are available too.

 http://www.gnome.org/getting-gnome/
 http://download.gnome.org/misc/promo-usb/gnome-3.12.iso

These images are based on Fedora. More coming soon!

To try the very latest developments in GNOME, you can also use the
VM disk images that are produced by the gnome-continuous build system.

 https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GnomeContinuous

This six months' effort wouldn't have been possible without the whole
GNOME community, made of contributors and friends from all around the
world: developers, designers, documentation writers, usability and
accessibility specialists, translators, maintainers, students, system
administrators, companies, artists, testers and last, not least, users.
GNOME would not exist without all those people.

Thank you to everyone!

Our next release, GNOME 3.14, is planned for September 2014.

Until then, enjoy GNOME 3.12!

The GNOME Release Team

March 22, 2014

TARBALLS DUE: GNOME 3.12.0

Hello all,

With 3.11.92 out, it's time for 3.12.0 tarballs. Let the translations
flow into your modules then get your tarballs out.

Tarballs are due on 2014-03-24 before 23:59 UTC for the GNOME 3.12.0
newstable release, which will be delivered on Wednesday. Modules which
were proposed for inclusion should try to follow the unstable schedule
so everyone can test them.  Please make sure that your tarballs will
be uploaded before Monday 23:59 UTC: tarballs uploaded later than that
will probably be too late to get in 3.12.0. If you are not able to
make a tarball before this deadline or if you think you'll be late,
please send a mail to the release team and we'll find someone to roll
the tarball for you!


For more information about 3.11, the full schedule, the official
module lists and the proposed module lists, please see our colorful 3.11
page:
   http://www.gnome.org/start/unstable

For a quick overview of the GNOME schedule, please see:
   http://live.gnome.org/Schedule


Cheers,
        Fred

Feeds